2017-12-07 / News

A brief retrospective of Hope Lutheran

(From church records and history as told to Pastor David Krueger)

Hope Lutheran Church was established in June 1947. At that time, the congregation met at the former Friendship Club, now Stalling’s Glass, on Morrish Road.

The first pastor was The Rev. Norman Maas. He and two successors also served the congregation of Grace Lutheran Church in Durand.

Richard MacKain was the first pastor to minister specifically to the Hope congregation. He arrived at the church in 1964.

The church has had seven pastors, including The Rev. David Krueger, who retired Dec. 1 after 40 years. He was the longest-serving Hope minister.

The little white church on Miller Road was built in 1949 when a contractor put up the shell. Church members worked nights and weekends for two years to do the finish work.

The first service took place Dec. 23, 1951.

The building originally had a neon cross at the top. About 50 years ago, a family donated their home with the hope that the congregation would move the house onto the property between the parsonage and the church and open a school.

When they found out what it would cost to move the dwelling, they opted instead to sell the house and use the proceeds for the towering steeple.

In its time, Hope Lutheran was the setting for 80 weddings, 254 baptisms, 220 confirmations and 56 funerals.

The building now is for sale, at an asking price of $200,000. Krueger said several churches have inquired, as has an investor who considered converting it into a wedding chapel. – L.R.

Return to top

Copyright 2010-2017 The Swartz Creek View, All Rights Reserved

Click here for digital edition
2017-12-07 digital edition